Lady Lumley's Foundation
Lady Lumley’s Educational Foundation (LLEF) is a registered charity which was formed in 1959 following the amalgamation of the Lady Lumley’s Grammar School Foundation and Sinnington School Foundation.
The Lady Lumley’s Educational Foundation is named after Lady Elizabeth Lumley who died childless in 1657 bequeathing her estates for the creation of a school and two alms houses.
The body of Governors shall consist when complete of nine competent persons being - Seven Nominated Governors and Two Co-opted Governors.
The Nominated Governors. Governors are appointed in line with the Foundation’s constitution as follows:
- Three by the Governors of Lady Lumley's School at Pickering;
- One by North Yorkshire County Council as local education authority;
- One by Pickering Town Council; One by Sinnington Parish Council;
- One by Thornton Dale Parish Council.
The residue of any net income of the Foundation is used to:
- In providing such special benefits of any kind not normally provided by the Local Education Authority for Lady Lumley's County Grammar and Modern School as may from time to time be agreed upon between the Authority and the Governors;
- In awarding to beneficiaries Scholarships, Bursaries or Maintenance Allowances tenable at any School, University or other place of learning, approved by the Governors;
- In providing financial assistance, outfits, clothing, tools, instruments or books to enable beneficiaries on leaving school, a university or any other educational establishment to prepare for, or to assist their entry into, a profession, trade or calling;
- In awarding Scholarships or Maintenance Allowances to enable beneficiaries to travel abroad to pursue their education;
- In providing, or assisting the provision of, facilities, of any kind not normally provided by the Local Education Authority, for recreation and social and physical training, including the provision of coaching in athletics, sports and games, for beneficiaries who are receiving primary, secondary or further education; and
- In providing financial assistance to enable beneficiaries to study music or other arts.
Lady Lumley’s School has benefitted significantly from the financial support offered by the LLEF.
Recent projects include:
- The provision of another new minibus and support with ongoing maintenance
- The refurbishment of the music rooms and the creation of a music technology suite
- The refurbishment of the Food Technology Rooms including a new air extraction and ventilation system
- Ongoing support for our annual Year 8 Bewerley Park visit
- Annual provision of cash rewards for Prize Givings
- Ongoing support to individual subject Departments
- Financial support for University Visits
Larger projects supported by the LLEF over recent times include significant contributions towards the building of the Sports Hall and the Modern Foreign Language Block.
The LLEF has also provided a significant amount of support to individual students and former students in line with the areas of support listed above. Students are encouraged to write to the Foundation outlining the financial support they need to help them pursue their interests and career aspirations.
For further information and advice about applying to the LLEF for financial support please contact Clair Foden, Headteacher at Lady Lumley’s School.