Equality and Diversity
The Equality Act 2010 was introduced to ensure protection from discrimination, harassment and victimisation on the grounds of specific characteristics (referred to as protected characteristics). For schools, this means that it is unlawful to discriminate against students or treat them less favourably because of their gender; race; disability; religion or belief; gender reassignment; sexual orientation; pregnancy or maternity.
Marriage and civil partnerships and age are also ‘protected characteristics’, but do not apply to our provision for students.
Under the Act, the school is expected to comply with the Public Sector Equality Duty. This requires us to:
- Eliminate unlawful discrimination, harassment and victimisation
- Advance equality of opportunity between different groups
- Foster good relations between different groups
As a public organisation, we are required to:
- Publish information to show compliance with the Equality Duty. This is done via our Equalities Duty Statement of Intent
- Publish Equality Objectives which are specific and measurable
Our Equalities Policy is in line with national guidance and contains information about how the school complies with the Public Sector Equality Duty. We also give guidance to staff and outside visitors on our approach to promoting equality.
Our Equality Objectives reflect the school’s priorities and draw upon available data and other evidence. Careful analysis of this is undertaken in order to ensure that we are working to achieve improved outcomes for different groups.
Our Equalities Objectives are:
|In relation to Achievement:|
|In relation to Teaching and Learning:|
|In relation to Behaviour and Safety|
|In relation to Leadership and Management|
How we will demonstrate our due regard to our PSED
- The following information demonstrates how we comply to the PSED:
- Governing Body reports and minutes
- Information on SEND or specific support programmes
- Attitude to Learning data and analysis
- Work profile data
- Equality Impact Assessments
- Policies that are in place across the academy